If you’ve reached a point where you no longer wish to use Instagram, you have two options: deactivating your account temporarily or permanently deleting it. This article will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to deactivate or delete your Instagram account, helping you make an informed decision based on your preferences.
Deactivate or Delete: Choosing the Right Option
Before diving into the process, it’s important to understand the differences between deactivating and deleting your Instagram account. Here’s what you need to know:
Deactivating Your Account:
- Reversible decision: You can reactivate your account at any time.
- Retain your data: Your followers, photos, comments, and likes remain intact.
- Account visibility: Your account is temporarily hidden, and others can’t find or view it.
Deleting Your Account:
- Irreversible decision: Once deleted, your account cannot be restored.
- Permanent data loss: You lose all your followers, photos, comments, and likes.
- Username availability: Your username may become available for others to claim.
Now that you understand the key differences, let’s proceed with the steps for both deactivation and deletion.
ALSO READ: Instagram Launches Collaborative Collections Feature for Shared Interests
Deactivating Your Instagram Account:
- Log in: Open Instagram on your computer and log in to your account.
- Access Profile Settings: Click on your profile photo in the bottom right corner, then select “Profile” and click on “Edit Profile.”
- Temporarily Disable Account: Scroll down and click on “Temporarily disable my account” at the bottom.
- Choose a Reason: Select a reason for deactivation from the provided options.
- Password Confirmation: Enter your password to confirm your decision.
Deactivation Confirmation: Click on “Temporarily Disable Account” to complete the process. Your account will now be hidden from others!
Reactivate Your Instagram Account:
- Log in: To reactivate your account, simply open Instagram on your browser or app and log in using your credentials.
- Resume from Where You Left Off: After logging in, you will find everything just as you left it—photos, comments, followers, and chats.
Deleting Your Instagram Account:
- Visit Account Deletion Page: Access the “Delete Your Account” page by clicking on this link (provide link).
- Login and Choose Reason: Log in to the Instagram account you wish to delete and select a reason for deletion.
- Final Confirmation: Enter your password one last time to confirm the deletion.
- Permanently Delete Account: Click on “Permanently delete my account” to complete the process. Your account will be permanently deleted, and all data will be lost.
By following this comprehensive guide, you now have the knowledge to either deactivate or delete your Instagram account. Consider the pros and cons of each option before making a decision. Whether you choose a temporary break or a permanent exit from Instagram, remember to save any important data before taking action.